Saturday, April 12, 2008

Eula May Lindsey

Our family lost a very special person this week. Angie's (my sister-in-law) mother lost an 8 year battle with cancer. It was a very sad week, but also a great celebration of Eula's life, love, and faith.
Angie forgive me if I mess up the details, but I'd like to share Eula's battle from my (very removed) perspective. Eula was first diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago, just before Shawn and Angie's wedding. I remember thinking what a horrible time to think you might lose your mother. But Eula was at the wedding (looking beautiful) and able to be with Angie on her big day. Eula didn't let cancer rule the day, but it was like it was there just enough to make you cherish the time together.
Her cancer went into remission and it was 7 years before I ever heard the word cancer mentioned again. In that 7 years, Eula became 'Grammy' of 2 wonderful boys. She never missed a birthday, holiday, or special day with her boys. Grammy and Pa Bill would make the trip to Athens from North Carolina even when it wasn't convenient. Caleb and Cae LOVE their Grammy and her sweet gentle nature. She had a way of speaking with you that made you feel special and blessed all at the same time! Her stong faith would shine through whether we were talking about major life changes (baby Wade!) or the weather. I remember sitting in Shawn and Angie's living rooms (with Caleb and running around screaming) having the most heartfelt conversations.
Then last spring Eula found out the cancer was back. Even with this news, there was no talk of death, sorrow, or pity. When I'd ask how Eula was doing, I was always told to just pray for healing! Even in her final days, Shawn said it was never about her death - but her life, faith, and praying for a miracle.
I'm so thankful Eula was able to have her family by her side as she drew her last breath. I know it was such a comfort to her, but even more for Angie, Rob, and Bill. I wasn't there and haven't even talked to Angie about the experience, but I know that no words were needed to share the love in that room.
Eula, I'm so thankful your pain has ended. You are greatly missed, but we know you're so happy in heaven!!
Angie, I love you! I hope you can just think of the amazing times you were able to have with your mom and know you will be with her again.
All my love!!

No comments: