She's obsessed with her pacifiers.
Pacifiers are supposed to live up to their name and pacify fussy babies.
However, there is so much whining over her paci, they are doing more harm than good.
Not to mention, her daddy dentist said that her teeth are starting to shift and her bite was getting messed up.
So I started brainstorming what our abolition strategy was going to be. Cut all the pacis so they lose suction and pretend I have no idea what happened? Have the paci fairy come and magically remove all the pacis leaving a present in their place? Drive to the hospital and give all the pacis to the new babies that need them? We had great success with Wade giving up his bottles by making him "purchase" his favorite train with his bottles (read about the "Big Bottle Barter" HERE). But that only worked because he really wanted that train and would've done whatever necessary to get it. Bree isn't into one thing or item that would separate her from her beloved pacis. In the end, here's what we did...
I collected all of her pacifiers into a bag.
We invited some friends over to watch football, including the Starr's new baby boy, Schuler.
With lots of sweet talking, Bree was excited to give Schuler ONE of her pacis.
"Here you go Schuler! One for you..."
"And one for me."
Then I told her she needed to give Schuler ALL of her pacis, including the one in her mouth.
Bree did not like that one bit.
She lost it, refused to open the Minnie Mouse toy Schuler brought for her, and continued to pitch a big old fit.
Luckily, she actually went to sleep that night without a pacifier. She asked for it occasionally after that night, but wasn't too upset when I reminded her she gave them to baby Schuler. The moral of this story is that (once again) the dreaded milestone chores of parenting aren't nearly as bad as I think they will be. Wade and Bree both surprise me with their adaptability and maturity in each new phase of life!
















No comments:
Post a Comment