I'm now married to an IRONMAN. I knew he was special before, but now he has a medal (and a very dramatic story) to prove it! He completed the 140.6 mile triathlon after 6 months of grueling training and almost 15 hours of straight competition!
Beau and I traveled to Houston, Texas for the big weekend. It just happened to be our 8 year wedding anniversary that weekend, so we had lots to celebrate. The race and festivities were held at The Woodlands, a great little community outside of Houston. We arrived on Thursday to check-in. It was exciting and intimidating to see all the Ironmen and woman walking around.
These signs and shirts had every participant listed. Somehow Beau found his name in the middle of the next picture (it wasn't in alphabetical order).
After a relaxing Friday for both of us, we went out for Beau's "Last Supper" - pasta of course. We made sure he was well fed and well rested for his day long race on Saturday.
I drove him to the start at 6am and left him in the dark to start with a 2.4 mile swim. It began in a more open lake, but ended in this narrow channel. YIKES!
Beau did an amazing swim time and finished even faster than he thought he would. He was excited. I was excited. The day was off to a great start.
I saw him take off on the bike. He was feeling good and happy! Knowing that it would take him over 6 hours to finish the 112 mile bike ride, I headed back to the hotel to relax and follow online. At his 56 mile split, he was still doing great and making good time.
Here's what was happening back on the home front....Wade and Bree cheering on Daddy from Atlanta.
When I thought it was time for Beau to be finishing the bike ride, I camped out with my beach cruiser and camera. All the roads were closed, so biking myself was the only way to get around.
The transition from bike to the marathon run was difficult. He was trying to refuel and stretch his legs. The run was on a loop they did 3 times, so luckily I was able to see him many times. He was trucking right along until about mile 15 and then hit a wall.
His nutrition was all out of whack, but we had no idea what to do. He was talking salt pills, electrolyte pills, every sports drink, goo packs, etc. He was nauseous, dizzy, and his body was shutting down. I didn't know what to tell him, except KEEP GOING!
He ended up walking the last 10 miles. He was so worried the race medics would pull him from the race if he looked too weak. He just kept putting one foot in front of the other...literally. I was more than worried he was going to pass out along the way, so I followed along with my beach cruiser. I'm not going to lie, it was rough. I was worried, he thought he was dying, the sun was setting, time was running short, and all we wanted to do was be FINISHED! When I finally separated from him at mile 24, he told me to look for him in the medical tent.
BUT Beau was determined and made it through the many miles of doubt. With 2 hours to spare (the close the race at 17 hours), he crossed the finish line!
I got a big kiss at the finish!!!
CROSSING THE FINISH AS AN IRONMAN!!!
Then, as promised, he went to the medical tent (for the next 2 hours). It ended up he was overhydrated. His chemical balance was so messed up, his body couldn't recognize all the stuff he was putting in it. He had a doctor and nurse all to himself in the medical tent. This picture is exaggerating his condition....but you get the idea :) After I collected him and all his gear, I got him on video saying this was the "most stupid thing he's ever done and do not ever let him do it again". I am keeping that video under lock and key (with the same statement that says "don't ever let me plan another trip to Vegas")
We made it home the next day to a street full of signs and congratulations. Our sweet neighbors, Jim and Michelle Williamson, organized it all!
Wade was so proud of Daddy (and the medal he brought home)
Beau, I'm so proud of you and your determination to be an IRONMAN. You did the training. You did the work. And you finished!!! Now just keep your promise of ONE and DONE :)








































1 comment:
Oh my gosh! That sounds awful! That's so amazing that he finished. What determination on both of your parts!!
That's so fun that it was in Houston. Too bad we weren't living there so we could have come cheered him on! :)
I hope that ironman doesn't taint your view on Houston!
Post a Comment