I love to travel. So when a good friend (Carolyn) just happens to move to London, you can be sure I (and my other travel hungry friend, Paula) will make a visit. After pawning my family off on any willing volunteer, I packed my bag and took off for a British holiday with the girls!
Speaking of packing, I wanted to travel light to make it through the airport, Underground and streets of London. This was hard because of the unpredictable and often rainy weather, but I managed it somehow. I found a tutorial on Pinterest on how to pack like a pro in a carry-on. Gotta love Pinterest. I followed it to a T and it worked!!! I had to share my success...
We started the trip with a few days at Carolyn's house in Crowethorne. She lives in a precious little village just outside the city. After a flight with little sleep, I was happy to lounge in her sunroom studying up on our London plans. Our first day we caught up with Carolyn and her adorable family, cooked dinner in, and tried to catch up on our sleep!
Kate (6) is in primary school and after one year has a very strong British accent! It's precious!!
Carolyn's husband Christopher (center) was sweet enough to pick Paula and me from the airport! He's my hero.
CHEERS!!! Our first (of many) toasts for the weekend!
Carolyn walks everywhere getting her children to and from school, picking up meat from the butcher, or any little errand you can imagine. Harry (4) is in preschool and happy to go play with his friends for the day!
Our second day, Paula and I ventured to Windsor for the day while Carolyn stayed back managing the kids schedules. It was a short cab ride away, passing beautiful countryside and the Ascot Racecourse (horse racing). This was a last minute adventure and I was THRILLED to get to explore Windsor and Eton. Windsor castle was a highlight!
I loved being within the walls and walking the paths the British monarchs have walked for hundreds of years. It is the largest inhabited castle in the world!
St. George's Chapel was a very special treat. We didn't quite know what we were looking at until we got inside. It is a beautiful chapel with tombs throughout. Henry VIII is buried there. So cool.
The view from the castle looking over to Eton...
After the tour of Windsor castle, we took a break on a street of cafes....
This little crooked house is right next to Guildhall where Prince Charles and Camila were married in their civil ceremony...
And has a cute upstairs for the perfect afternoon tea, and break from the sprinkling rain.
Then we walked the streets of Windsor on our way across the river to Eton...
I could walk these streets for hours just picturing life and history here!!
These boys go to Eton College, where they still where coattails everyday....
After our Windsor adventure, we joined the Corr family at their favorite pub and restaurant. The Golden Pot is run by the nicest Englishman I've ever met. Mr. John even entertained the kids while we finished our dinner.
Here is Carolyn and Christopher's house. You can see Carolyn peaking her head out the upstairs window.
Carolyn, Christopher, and baby Joseph. He's had a very worldly existence in his 18 months of life!!!
So after 2 days in Crowthorne, we left Christopher with the kids and took of to London. Our first stop - The Tower of London.
One of Henry VIII's body armor. The set got bigger and bigger as he gained weight throughout his life.
These wooden horses are replicas of kings' horse in chronological order...
St. John's Chapel, built 1077
I was taking random pictures with my iphone and sent them to Wade throughout the trip. I had to take this one after his school experience as a Busby Guard...
Carolyn, Paula, & Kriya in front of the Tower Bridge...
We lucked out and watched the Yeomen Warder (Beefeater guard) lead the Busby guards during the changing of the guards...
This is the view across the Thames River from the Tower of London. I love how you can stand within medieval walls over 1000 years old and see this modern view of architecture on the other side!
You have to get the token phone booth picture :)
Before afternoon tea at The Lanesborough, we walked the streets near Hyde Park.
The Lanesborough
I could get used to Afternoon Tea! It's like the perfect siesta...with yummy food and drinks.
We had a strawberries and cream course, champagne, amazing sandwiches and sweets, and of course the tea.
After tea, we walked to Harrod's and did a little shopping...
I tried to bring Paula and Carolyn over to the dark side...50 Shades of Grey
We stayed in the Soho Hotel, a precious hotel updated and decorated so cute...
Our dinner at Bocca Di Lupo. It was highly recommended by Gweneth Paltrow, so we had to try it. It was packed! We enjoyed the dinner, but we didn't do a great job ordering. I'd like to do it all over again and try different dishes!
Then we found a great bar, Archer Street, for more drinks and even a little dancing...on tables. Coffee tables. It was great for people watching! Our only complaint was that they close too early. If we're the ones closing down a bar....you know you're closing too early.
One of my favorite parts of the trip was that we had no schedule and no set agenda. We had ideas of what we wanted to do, but no confirmed plans. So after a late night Friday night, we all slept in and took our time getting going in the morning.
Our first stop was the Borough Food Market. So many different kids of food!
We even found "Pimm's" and each tried a drink. Everyone had told us we needed to try this British favorite.
By the time we made it to Big Ben, it was raining :(
And unfortunately we missed the last entrance to Westminster Abbey by just a few minutes. BUMMER! I would've loved to have gone in, but at least we saw it from the outside.
From there we walked through St. James Park towards Buckingham Palace.
The view from a bridge with The London Eye and Big Ben in the distance...
Then we headed over to Notting Hill and the Portobello Road Antique market.
We each bought some silver pieces and walked away very happy customers :)
What a surprise! I walked right past the home of George Orwell, the author our dog was named after. We did not name him in case you're now waiting for the story and explanation behind his name.
That's Carolyn hiding behind a statue in Soho Square
Carolyn's been in major withdrawal from Mexican food in the UK, so we found Taqueria. It had delicious fish tacos. I have to explain these 2 pictures. Carolyn and I we posing with our glasses and then right after Paula took the picture I spilled most of my drink in Carolyn's lap.
Can you see how empty my glass is now? On a normal day it might not have been that bad, but it was cold and rainy and we were soaked. So all I did was make it worse for her. SORRY CAROL!
Dinner out our last night at The Cinnamon Club, an upscale Indian restaurant in the Old Westminster Library. I was completely at Carolyn and Paula's mercy when ordering, because I had no clue what half of the items on the menu were. But it was all delicious!
After dinner we found a fun Irish Pub (that closed at 12) so we were FORCED to go back to Archer Street for more dancing :)
The DJ there was so much fun!
But the real entertainment was the couple behind me. I had to include this picture. This couple started kissing at the bar (all G Rated) and did not stop for at least 20 minutes. Everyone in the bar started taking bets as to how long they could keep it up. They literally didn't take a breath. I say more power to you!!! But get a room :)
This little corner deli made the best bap sandwich. I didn't know what a bap was before this trip and now I'm thoroughly please to have been introduced :) It's just a soft roll like a hamburger bun, but much better. We ate breakfast here 2 days in a row. Yum!
On our way to the airport, we took a train from Paddington Station. I had to take this shot in honor of my stepgrandmother, Nanny. She grew up in Paddington and has so many great stories on life in London. During WWII, she used to go for a long Sunday bike ride from Paddington all the way to Windsor. I feel honored to have been a few of the places that still mean so much to her!
This is me as we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways (Atlanta, NYC and Crowthorne). I was the last one left on the train and was so sad to say goodbye to my dear friends AND a wonderful vacation.
I loved this trip. This was the longest I had ever been away from Wade and Bree, but knowing they were home with Beau made all the difference in the world. When Beau and I travel together it's much harder to manage the mommy guilt and missing my babies. A big thanks to the team of family and sitters that helped watch the kids while I was gone!
Paula and Carolyn were the perfect travel buddies. We all had no trouble touring like idiots, sitting and enjoying a cocktail, staying up late, sleeping in, yet making the most of our time. We each had our "roles" in the adventure. Carolyn led the way, since she was most familiar with the city. Paula handled logistics and maps to consult with Carolyn. Living in New York, she naturally had a better senses of how to maneuver The Tube. And then I just tagged along and took pictures!!! Worked for me! Thank you girls for making my getaway time so much fun. Love you!!




















































































































No comments:
Post a Comment