Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bree is 5 months old!

Our baby girl is 5 months old! Her daddy affectionately calls her "Baby Bree" all the time and it rubs off on me and Wade. With a short name like Bree, it's not like it needs a shorter cute nickname. So for now, she is "Baby Bree".

She had a doctor's appointment for shots and weighed in at a whopping 14 lb 10 oz. She's right in the middle of the curve, but she must have a lot of junk in the trunk because she's already in size 3 diapers! And she STILL has occasional blowouts. How is that possible??

We've been home a lot more this month (since Halloween) and have been exploring new toys around the house. Her favorite new spot is in the exersaucer. She can entertain herself for a long time in that thing! Sometimes I'll forget she's in there (until she hits the buttons and plays music).
It has replaced the swing and Wade now wants to sit in it and kick Bree out. But she's a HAPPY girl when she can place with her toys.Another new toy is this bath tub seat. Bree FINALLY likes taking a bath now that she can splash around and play. She must've been modestly embarrassed when I took this picture...I even tried it in the sink! I was triple tasking, so I thought it might help speed the process along. I probably won't make a habit of it, but it was fun to try!Still, our favorite item around the house is the Bumbo. We have them scattered around and I couldn't do a thing without them. Bree's favorite thing to do is "oversee" dinner preparation in the kitchen from her Bumbo. She's great helper!Yes, my daughter has baby cleavage. Bring on the training bras...We've still only experimented with solid food (if you can call mushy porridge "solid food") a handful of times. She's not a fan of rice cereal, barely tolerates oatmeal, but seems to be a fan of sweet potatoes!!! I'm bad about feeding her daily because it's just so easy to mindlessly nurse her when she's hungry. It's like I'm on autopilot! I'm so thankful breastfeeding has continued to be successful...I know I can't take it for granted. (I don't think she even realized the sweet potatoes were coming from the spoon and not her fingers)
Aunt Sheesha babysat one day, so we had to wear our "I'm as cute as my aunt" shirt. It was a hit. Now we just need Nicci, Angie, & Michelle to take a picture with it too :)
We're still waiting for Miss Priss to decide to roll over. I can honestly say I've given her more time on her tummy and back and even enticed her with toys. She's so close and can roll from side to side, but won't take the plunge and flip over. Her pediatrician said she has fine muscle tone, but may just be lazy. Seeing how she loves to sit up and observe, she may very well sit up by herself before she rolls over. She can "tripod" for a little while before slowly slumping down. I'm not worried, but I just know those nosy nurses are going to go through their list of questions at our next appointment ("is she sleeping on her back? are there any risk factors for lead in the home?"...can she roll over") and we'll be "red flagged" for life! It might even go in her permanent record! OH NO! :)
She's settled into a good nap and nighttime sleep routine. Wake around 8, Morning nap, Afternoon nap, sometimes a 5pm snooze, bedtime around 8, and will wake once to nurse but then goes right back to sleep. Of course there are always good days and bad days, but I can't complain! She definitely prefers sucking on her fingers (over a pacifier) if she can find them. That helps her be able to put herself back to sleep more easily.
Bree has lost most of the hair she was born with, except for a few really long strands on the top of her head. The rest of her head is covered with new hair that's short fluffy peach fuzz. It's so different from Wade's wig (he'd already had his first mullet and haircut by now), but she looks like a cute spring chick! I'm continually amazed at what a blessing Bree is. She can just smile at you and all the rest of the world melts away. She looks at you with complete joy, trust and love. And it makes you want to give it right back to her. My favorite moment of the day is her first morning smile. She grins from ear to ear when you lean over the crib. It's like she's telling you she's ready to start a new day....and it makes you a little more ready too...
Happy 5 month birthday baby Bree!! We love you to the moon and back!

post signature

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Bree is just to die for! And that pumpking outfit... I can't handle the cuteness.

Robin Lyles said...

Where has the time gone? She is too cute. And that cleavage . . . I'm already jealous :)

Anonymous said...

I noticed the cleavage too! hot stuff! But seriously, could she be any cuter?! geez. I need to come see yall again!!