Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bree's First Week

We're home, we're settling in, we're TRYING (key word: trying) to get this girl breastfeeding, we're constantly playing Wade defense (he's sweet, just a 2 year old boy), protecting nap time and taking phones off the hook for everyone in the house, and soaking up every newborn moment we can. We know it doesn't last long so even though it feels like we'll never have a full night's sleep again, she'll be walking and talking before we know it.

I've had so much help on every level that I'm going to be spoiled rotten when it's time to manage these 2 on my own. Wade has been thoroughly entertained, fed and cared for while I've been stuck in the BOOB CAVE (my bedroom) making baby steps towards real breastfeeding. My lactation consultant mother is once again by my side stumped at why HER grandchildren, of all babies, can't seem to figure it out. Unfortunately, Bree has started out with Wade's same pitiful breastfeeding ambitions and would much rather be lazy and get it from a bottle. I'm having the worst case of deja vu.
But this girl is H-U-N-G-R-Y! She was already 2 oz from her birth weight at her 4 day doctor's appointment. Her cheeks are still in full effect and she has more rolls than a sumo wrestler (probably because of her Asian ancestry). I LOVE each and every one. When people see her for the first time, their response is usually something like, "she's not nearly as big as she looks in pictures". And it's true.
Bree is an awesome sleeper. I could not ask for a better sleeper. I have always heard you either get a good sleeper or a good eater. And I clearly have the sleeper. I think she gets so worn out with our extensive breastfeeding attempts, that when she finally gets a full belly she passes out. We might get a few peaceful minutes where we see her eyes, but then she's out. I have to keep in mind that she's not even full term yet, so she'll be waking up soon.
We've had all kinds of family and friends over to meet her this week. Most of Beau's family was in town from Ohio and were able to be with us through many "firsts". Below she is being held by Great-Grandpa Ernie, I would love to know what they are looking at in this picture! Great Aunt Debbie
the Mosko-Pisko clan... they've all taken turns with Wade at the pool, rides to and from camp, and lots of meals.
Nonna's been juggling work, helping me, and finishing training for a triathlon this week. Phew!
Wade is really enjoying my indifference to what (or how much) he is wearing. His preference is usually to be naked, and with frequent trips to and from pools, that works for me! Here he is showing off his baby sister (and his tan).
Before Bree was born, I took the advice given to me and gave him his own doll to practice on. Now he likes to put it in the bouncer and play with the waterfall.
"Look Baby, WATER!"
Our neighbors, Jim, Kyra, & Lyall Williamson, came to see the bundle. Somehow "Wade's baby" made it in the picture too. Aunt Sheesha spent the day with us playing, feeding, and spoiling Cheeks
My high school girls got together with our girls. Kim & Millie Kate, Valerie & Madeline, and me & Bree.
Notice Millie Kate holding "Wade's baby"... It's been a great week, with it's fair share of frustrations, but we're doing well. I know she will get a handle on the breastfeeding, so we just have to stick with it and make it work. Thanks to everyone that has helped us in this huge transition!!! Love, The Benichs

post signature

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh those cheeks, I could just eat them up!!! I am sorry breastfeeding has been difficult. It was hard in the beginning for me with Aly but she finally got the hang of it and I know Bree will too!!! Glad you have had lots of help...