I realized that I've only taken handful of pictures in the last few weeks. And then I remembered why. The kids have been mildly sick and snotty for almost two weeks now. Bree has escaped with only a runny nose, but I forgot how bad a runny nose is for a baby. She won't sleep, eat, and don't even think about wiping her nose. Wade ended up with a fever and ear infection earlier in the week and we've just tried to lay low. As all my mom friends know, sick kids are inevitable, but it really stinks when your babies can't eat, sleep or play like they're used to. That means you can't eat, sleep, or play like you're used to either! And for some unknown medical reason, Tylenol or any other fever reducing medicine seems to make my kids stay awake for hours on end....in the middle of the night. Can someone please explain why??? I'm about to to lose my mind from sleep deprivation and I've developed a permanent eye twitch.
Wade has been bored out of his mind this week since we've missed school, swimming (have I mentioned he's started swim lessons again?), and music. I've tried to keep him busy with puzzles and art projects, but obviously I'm failing. After we did some finger painting one day, I asked him to go wash his hands in the bathroom. He said he wanted to do it, "by mys self". I agreed and got busy with cleaning up and messing with Bree. A few minutes went by and didn't hear much happening in that direction so I finally went to go check on him. That's when I found my son standing in puddles of wet toilet paper. He had unrolled an entire roll into the toilet. Then he took wads and threw them throughout the bathroom, up the walls, down the hall, and on the door. What possesed my sweet almost 3 year old to do such a thing? Boredom. Sheer and utter boredom.
My 3 favorite things this week (that have saved my sanity) are...
(besides Beau and our amazing babysitter Mandy)
1. Meltaway Tylenol Tabs - if you have a wimpy medicine taker like I do, you NEED these. Wade will literally gag and vomits when you make him drink liquid medicine, so finding the chewable meltaways have saved us from lots of pukage.
2. Baby Mum Mums - these teething crackers have been a staple for awhile now with Bree (and Wade loved them too), but I realized how much I depend on them to keep her happy and occupied. She loves them and starts flapping her arms when you open a package. Then she'll just sit quietly and gnaw on them. Not to mention that they dissolve when chewed, so the choking risk is minimal. LOVE ME SOME MUM MUMS.
3. Autoseal Coffee Mug - I call it my "Mommy Mug". You have to press a button to drink out of it, so it otherwise it won't spill (when your baby grabs it out of your hand or when you throw it in the diaper bag to get out the door). AND it keeps your coffee warm for about 4 hours! No more constantly reheating when you get distracting and come back to find the coffee you so desperately wanted to drink in peace is now freezing cold.
Okay, I think it's time for my whining to come to an end. Please forgive me! I know there are so many more serious things happening in the world and even with our friends and family that put our sickly week in perspective. So we're moving on and ready to rejoin the rest of the world! Ready or not, here we come!






3 comments:
That is snot funny!
Kriya! I feel your pain! Mae has had ANOTHER cold this past week. I didn't think a baby could hold that much snot..WOW. Nice to hear someone else is in my boat right now. Also thanks for the tip about the Baby Mum Mums....GOOD TO KNOW!!! Love you!
Polly
oh gal- we are feeling you over here. Mary Kate sees the boogie wipes coming and SCREAMS. I am the mother I swore I'd never be- the one with the child with a perpetually crusty nose. So gross.
And mum-mums save us too. I forgot them the other night and you'd have thought I killed someone Ross was so frustrated. They save us all the time. Thankfully we let her chew on a plastic place mat and all was better.
Prayers for an end to all our children's snot. I am going coooo cooo!!
Post a Comment